Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I've had my roof rack set-up from my previous vehicle sitting in a box on my parts shelf for some time. I've been wanting to incorporate it to the tundra but the fit kit is not compatible with the gutters. So, instead, I hard mounted the feet to the roof using the factory tracks.

All I needed to purchase was:
- a pair of 58" thule load bars ($30)
- 8 grade 5 - 2" long 3/8" bolts, 3/8" washers and nuts. 2 bolts would be holding down each foot (~$5).
- 1" x 1" x 3' angled steel (~$5)
- 1/8" x 2" x 3' flat steel (~$5).

With the angled steel, I cut 8 pieces 3" long. These would be used under the roof. These act as the washer and help spread the clamping force. Same with the flat steel. I cut 8 pieces about 1 3/4" long. These would be mounted on top of the feet to also help spread the clamping force along with the washers. Once I drilled all the holes for the metal pieces, I marked and drilled the holes through the factory tracks after removing the rubber lining. This was probably the best option to drill as it was the thickest part of the roof (~1/4" thick). It consist of 4 layers of sheet metal all spot welded together. Once all that was done, I bolted everything together and installed the interior back in.

Before putting in the head liner, I added an extra layer of insulation. I used foiled bubble wrap that is commonly used for water heaters. I had a bunch of it laying around and figured it wouldn't hurt to add it. I also left pieces out of the headliner. Along the driver side and pass. side are pieces of black plastic supports in the shape of a square grid. I left these out in order to access the nuts for the feet if I ever need to in the future. All I would need to do is take the headliner trim on both sides out to gain access. Otherwise, I'd have to remove the headliner, sun shades, overhead console and light, etc.

Next is to build the box frame for the platform. The platform will be about 4' x 4'. For now here are some pics of the feet and load bars.








No comments: