Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Update as of 1/29/10: Got the input shaft and after some further inspection, I realized the input shaft on the donor tcase was already a 23 spline. The coupler on the input shaft assembly has 2 wide grooves that slide over 2 splines. Looking further into the couple it's fitted onto the assembly via splines as well and I counted 23. ARGH!!!

Anyways, I hope to have the manual tcase installed by this weekend...

Ever since my SAS, I've been fighting my 4WD system. Mainly the ADD electronic stuff. With the solid axle swap, I've had to reuse the front actuator and mount it to the frame rails with the fork cut off. This was needed in order for the system to engage the xfer case. Not only that, the front ADD had to be engaged in order to get in to 4Lo. There have been mods to trick the system but, that's just more wires and electronics. So, what better to swap out the push button ADD stuff and swap in a manual tcase.

The expensive route is to go with a lefty tcase from either Inchwormgear.com or MarlinCrawler.com.

Marlin's


or...

Inchworms:


Both range at about $2k. Yikes!!! :eek: Way out of my budget. Especially, with our second child on the way. WOOHOO!!!!!

The other option is to try and use a tcase from a V6 tundra/taco/runner. I believe the manual case for these models are all the same for 00-04 and have a j-shifter. I was able to hunt down one of these tcases.

Got the case from member TRDfun (thanks again) and started the tear down. Now I just need to either purchase a new/used input shaft or tear mine down. Here's some pics of the tear down. No step by steps pics as the manual already has all that.

The start of the tear down. Flanges removed and bolts loosened


Case separated.


Gutted case where input shaft is located.


All the parts laid out on the table


21 spline input shaft. I'll be replacing this with a 23 spline input shaft.

No comments: